In Case: Eating Disorders Poetry




















In case nobody’s told you, and in case you haven’t heard.
I’m trapped inside this limbo, teetering on the verge.
In case I get too scared, and in case I lose all nerve.
In case I lose myself trying to erase all of my curves.

In case one day I vanish, disappear into the air.
In case the day arrives as if I was never there.
In case one day this plan works, and no longer can you see.
In case one day I finish in erasing all of me.

In case I cannot beat this, and this letter’s all you find.
In case one day ed wins in taking hold of heart and mind.
In case one day I cannot fight, for the war is far too great.
In case I can no longer hide from this, my hopeless fate

And when the day “in cases” come and I am ash upon the wind.
The eulogy they speak for me won’t talk of fat or thin.
Now the rhythmic words in which I write may read like fairy tales.
But know I gave both life and limb for the numbers on a scale

By  Erin M. Akers


Be Featured on Weighing The Facts: Share your eating disorders and body image poetry and writings on Weighing The Facts


See sidebar menu for more Poetry and Writing submissions by readers


++

1 comments:

rudi123 said...

What a wonderful and heart rending poem. Thank you very much for posting this. Eating disorders are a growing problem, especially among young people and I am glad to know that there is a place they can go to find some comfort.